Star Wars: Fate of the Galaxy | A post-canon "Star Wars" RPG

The Final Contract

Planets in the Colonies, including Shulstine V and Ord Mirit.

The Final Contract

PostAuthor: Jax Xefern » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:13 pm

Aboard the Final Contract
Unnamed System (Devronian Colony J7-6-54)
M4D28 139ABY

Jax came down the metal steps that descended from the upper level catwalk that ran around the middle line of the landing bay aboard the Final Contract, providing access to one of the primary armories aboard the Crusader-class Corvette without having to tromp about the various corridors that separated access to both levels. It also provided direct access to a few other pertinent locations but the Z-6 rotary blaster canon propped against his shoulder gave evidence to his most recent stop. It also spoke to his intended role in the squad of Mandalorians that were gathering around his personal drop ship.

They were all cousins, most of them by second cousins at that, and it took only a glance for Jax to calculate that he was in charge, he was the oldest first generation descendent of the Clan's Elders present for the drop. That was fine, there were a pair of good pilots amongst their number that he could put in the cockpit then. Leaving him to take the Z-6 rotary onto the battlefield, much to his amusement, rather than merely using it to cover a hot drop or pickup from the rear of the drop bay. Excellent. He moved into the shuffling group and started working out who did what, what skills were specifically on the table in the group so he'd know which directions to spit orders in. At least Hettir would be along for the ride, Jax knew what the man was good at and he was battle tested at least as much as Jax himself.
Jax Xefern
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

Faction: Unknown

Re: The Final Contract

PostAuthor: Hettir Kyram » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:08 am

Hetttir slid the last ammo clip into place; taking his time ensuring that everything was in its proper spot. With a satisfied nod, the mado'ade's gaze took one last look across the area he had laid his gear for any stragglers; it stopped at the kama spread across the back of the chair in front of him. He rubbed his chin in thought. Despite the fact the beskar around his thighs and shins offered enough protection, it was still nice to have a bit of extra security ... that and backwash wasn't acceptable... for personal reasons. Yanking it from the chair, he clipped it into place and dusted the sides off with one hand. It was slightly faded and tattered at the edges, showing much use (not to mention the occasional time where it would catch on the spikes that dotted the edges of the Mando's armour).
Deciding he was ready, with his belt securely fashioned around his waist, pistols and pouches strapped to his sides, the weapon smith secured the jetpack. Snatching his blaster up with one hand, the other slid the helmet over his head as he made off for the rendezvous point.

The group was gathering at Jax's ship, and from what Hettir could see Jax was already present. He seemed a bit busy observing the members of the squad, and for a brief moment Hettir waited, taking the opportunity to do the same thing himself. When it seemed a bit more appropriate, Hettir approached with a grin.
"Well, Jax..." There was a small inclination of his head toward his neighbour's choice of weapon. "I don't think you have enough fire power. Would you like me to fetch you another one? Or maybe something... bigger?"
Hettir Kyram

PostAuthor: Jax Xefern » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:08 pm

"I have a squad level flamethrower upstairs, you want to carry that one?" He chuckled through the mic. "I'm crowd control, lets me stand back and keep an accurate view of the battlefield. Pass out formation orders. That sort of thing. I could have brought something heavier but I can stay in the fight and apply more firepower for longer with this than I can with a rocket launcher. Plus, there's always close tactical support with a repeating canon that you can't manage with explosives." Jax made the gesture for a smile on his helmet and moved toward the back of the Drunk Duck. His own kama swirling as he moved quickly, his was covered in dozens of tiny Beskar plates so the material protected his knee joints from the rear.

"Alright people, you'll be getting your specific roles in your HUDs momentarily but it shouldn't surprise any of you." He addressed the gathered Mandalorians, presuming his own command and when he got nothing but nods and double clicks in response he knew they'd presumed the same. Good. "Hettir here is gonna be our flying unit, he'll fill in where he thinks is necessary so watch his back while he's on the move. We are gonna hit hot and move to secure the LZ as a fallback point, then we go for the colony. They are expecting us but it's been three days since any contact has been forthcoming from the location. We are on the look out for pirates, mercenaries, what have you. Don't shoot unless they do, then it's free fire with extreme prejudice. We clear?" "CLEAR!" They all shouted in response.

"Start loading up." He turned to Hettir. "You've done the flying unit tactic before, yes?"
Jax Xefern
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

PostAuthor: Hettir Kyram » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:30 pm

Hettir frowned as Jax mentioned the flamethrower. "Oh you are too funny." He said dryly. If it was necessary, Hettir would arrange for its transportation, but if he had a choice, he would rather keep his distance. It was more of an uncomfortable feeling than fear, which he was willing to brush aside if need be... after all Hettir had no choice in the matter. All too often he would hear 'What would you recommend for this Flamethrower?', 'Kyr'am the flame project on my gauntlet could probably use replacing, don't you think?'. Then he would design, build, and unfortunately have to test them... which is why he was grateful for having such an understanding, loving wife who was willing to take them out in the middle of nowhere to do so. The palm of his hands seemed to itch, and his fingers coiled into their usual, distracted ‘twitch’. Noticing this time, Hettir scowled and stuck his hands on his hips before following Jax around to the back. He knew his neighbor preferred the larger, heavier sort of weapons… but anyone could figure that one out due to his height and choice of armor.

He remained quiet during Jax’s instructions, absorbing the information provided in his plan of action. It was fairly straight forward, and he gave a quick nod as he shouted ”Clear!” with the others. He watched them break to start loading up The Drunk Duck for a brief moment, before turning to Jax.
“If that is what you call a ‘floater’, then yeah. More or less.” He grinned, drawing a huge smile across his helmet to show so.
Hettir Kyram

PostAuthor: Jax Xefern » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:02 am

"A regular Chuckles McGiggleface. Might do comedy when I settle down in a hundred years or so... Mandalore the Hilarious has a nice ring to it right?" Jax continued moving, his multibarrelled weapon still firmly shouldered. He knew Hettir didn't like fire, knew where those burns had come from and why. He toyed with the guy sometimes because a weakness was only a weakness if one treated it as such. Mandalorians didn't do weaknesses, they made jokes about such things and brushed them off. Made plans and devices to defend against exploitation of those weaknesses. And, if they were the source of death, Mandalorians embraced those weaknesses and took as many of the enemy with them as possible.

Jax looked down at the other man. "What I call a floater is something one flushes twice, but I'm sure you get the gist of it. Find gaps. Patch 'em or pour firepower into 'em. Play spotter. That sort of thing. Also, if you end up outside the line remember we tend to mass our overlapping fire in a 2-3 sweep pattern. Time it right and you can prance right along our field of fire since we won't be targeting you specifically. Still, try not to get shot, it'd look bad."
Jax Xefern
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

PostAuthor: Hettir Kyram » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:59 pm

Manda’lor the Hilarious. Definitely a new one, and sometimes Hettir just had to wonder.

At the mention of Jax's definition of a floater, Hettir's nose wrinkled; duly noted that he will now refer to himself as a 'flying unit' while Jax was in the vicinity... or within earshot. That reference may come back to haunt him further on, and come to think of it, it may be already too late to save himself now. He chuckled.

The role in which he was assigned wouldn't be a problem; finding gaps, holes... almost like flaws in weapons; not to mention he also had experience working in squad like formations. If things went according to plan, with ideal conditions... Hettir would hopefully be able to happily 'prance' about without being caught on the outside.

He rubbed the bottom of his visor, much like one would stroke a chin. Yes, getting shot would not only look bad, but probably would feel just as bad. While he knew the beskar could take it, if the shot were to land in a ‘soft’ spot between the plates… definitely would be a dampener on Hettir’s current, happy mood.
"Don't get shot?! Awwww…killjoy.” He played disappointed, slouching slightly at the shoulders. “You’re such a downer. Boo!”

Chuckling, he gave Jax’s arm a friendly clap before moving along with the rest of the squad. “However, I should probably get my shebs in gear and lend a hand.”
Hettir Kyram

PostAuthor: Jax Xefern » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:33 pm

"Oh, fine. Tenik! Remind me to shoot Hettir when the mission is over." Jax called out and one of his cousins looked up for a second before giving the 'A-OK' universal gesture with his hand before returning to the task he'd been working on. Jax turned back to Hettir. "There, hope you're happy." He patted Hettir on the top of the smaller Mandalorian's helmet as they both headed toward what needed doing before they could set down at the target.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The call came down and the Drunk Duck started cycling its engines as the Final Contract dropped out of hyperspace at the edge of the system. A red light began flashing in the landing bay and the voice of Fey'bel Xefern came over the intercom. "Another vessel has been detected in orbit around the target planet. The shuttle will launch and insert as planned while the Final Contract engages vessel and attempts to make contact with contract holders on the planet. Go."

Jax, standing in the bulkhead entryway for the cockpit, leaned in and spoke to the two running the piloting. "Beta Zone, bring us in close and land us fast. We'll drop through the canopy and sweep in from the North after we bust the fence." He turned and dropped down the ladder to the main hold where most of his troops stood. "We are going in hard and hot, we have about ten minutes to ground and are gonna do a shallow jump from the back."
Jax Xefern
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

PostAuthor: Hettir Kyram » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:53 am

Hettir just stood there as he felt the knocking on the top of his head. The handy thing about beskar was that it was strong enough to deflect laserfire. Providing he was shot on a plate, the most it would leave would be a bruise and a dent in his pride. Hettir frowned; his mouth was going to get him into some deep trouble one of these days, and maybe Jax keeping true to his word and shooting him may remind the weapon smith to mind his sarcasm.

~*-=-*~

Standing alongside the others in the hold, Hettir had tried to make good use of his time by getting to know a bit more about the squad, since he mostly knew them just as neighbors and members of Clan Xefern. He chatted easily, making light conversation about the littlest of things until Jax slid down to join them.

ETA ten minutes. Hettir cracked his knuckles and flexed his fingers a few times before clenching them tightly; his eyes flicking to the displayed time in his HUD. Ten minute flight?! No biggie. As Jax had said yesterday in the diner… ‘a breeze’. A smile slowly curved up his face as he looked over his shoulder at the back door.
Hettir Kyram

PostAuthor: Jax Xefern » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:15 pm

The Mandalorian operated shuttle hit the atmosphere so hard it bucked like a water landing. With Jax's permission the pilots blew an emergency cooling packet and brought the drop ship in hard and hot, angling across the sky with a black heat plume in their wake as they allowed the atmosphere itself to slow them down. The ship dropped close to the surface as soon as the hull temperature was low enough not to ignite the canopy upon proximity. The Drunk Duck angled North of the colony grounds, pulling up short just a few hundred meters from the wall.

The drop bay doors opened and Mandalorians poured out. Most merely dropped, igniting their jet packs to arrest their descents. In the case of Jax, a warrior who rarely utilized a jet pack, there was a reel line that he was able to grab on his way out that served the same temporary task before spooling back up into the rear of the ship when he let go of it. Pulling the heavy rotary canon of his back as soon as he was on both feet Jax swung the weapon South and started moving. "Fan out, forward arc formation, weapons hot. That looked like a Jedi shuttle to me boys and girls, be prepared for anything!"
Jax Xefern
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

PostAuthor: Hettir Kyram » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:03 pm

Jax wasn't kidding when he said they'd be going in hard and hot, adding extra emphasis on the 'hard'. Hettir had no problem or issues with flying; he just didn’t see why someone would have the desire to be a pilot. After all… one mistake could leave some unhappy passengers, especially if they were blown out of the sky.

Hettir's joy for free fall was short lived as his jet pack roared to life to slow his decent. Cutting the power a few feet above the ground, he dropped and took in his surroundings as he moved out of the way for the others to land. He heard Jax land shortly after and immediately proceed to bark orders. An image of his Sargeant from ‘back in the day' flashed into mind and he chuckled at the memory, tempted to make a joke. Instead he pulled the blaster into his shoulder as he moved into a spot off Jax's left, about mid way up the line.

Hettir's gaze continued to sweep over the jungle before him as the squad moved south. Jedi shuttle? The Jedi were formidable opponents, but they still bled when they were cut and died when they were shot. This news just meant that they had to be careful, if they weren’t being so already.
Hettir Kyram

Next

Return to The Colonies