Star Wars: Fate of the Galaxy | A post-canon "Star Wars" RPG

The Misadventures of Pokere Nacht, Chapter 1

Home planet of the Togruta, in the Ehosiq Sector.

The Misadventures of Pokere Nacht, Chapter 1

PostAuthor: Pokere Nacht » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:06 am

M6D14, 139ABY

Pokere awoke to her alarm and hit the button as she sat up to avoid the temptation of going back to sleep. She would be expected outside for training before the sun arose and she had no intention of coming up short so early in her tenure as a Jedi Apprentice. Pokere shook out her arms, rolled her shoulders, and then continued down her body until she was standing in place doing a little jog to get the circulation really flowing. There were at least a half dozen other beings in the room, all snoozing soundly, so she kept it quiet until she was ready to leave the room. To the 'fresher where she snagged the shortest shower of her life in the awareness that she was sharing the water supply with a truly monumental number of folks.

Once out of the shower she dressed quickly in her work out clothes, handled what little bit of personal care she had to worry about, and headed into the common space of the house... to find her master sitting barefoot, in sleep pants and an A-line shirt, reading a datapad. He was leaned back in one end of one of the built in, recessed wall benches. "... good morning, master." It was somewhat to her surprise to find that others were awake as well, as evidenced by one of the older 'sisters' who walked over and handed Jedi Halcyon a cup of tea. "And to you as well." She gave the older female a short bow out of guest-ly respect.
Pokere Nacht
Jedi
Jedi

Faction: Jedi

Re: The Misadventures of Pokere Nacht, Chapter 1

PostAuthor: Kaziki Halcyon » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:13 am

Kaz sensed his apprentice coming a mile away, and had quickly rolled out of his warm pallet and made his way into the kitchen where he snatched up a random datapad. Quickly arranging himself to appear as if he had been up for more than a minute he proceeded to read whatever was on the datapad...

Druk, shopping list.

... Kaz raised his attention slowly at being addressed after Pokere appeared, making it appear as if the contents of the datapad had been engrossing. "Ah, good morning Pokere. You've arisen early, I do hope you slept well." He turned his head at the approach of another and smiled brilliantly at her as he accepted the tea. "Oh, you're lovely. Thank you. What's you're name?"

"Kimiko, master Jedi. And good morning to you, miss. Would you care for tea also?"

"Lovely name for a lovely woman, thank you again." He sipped his newly acquired tea and mmm'd appreciatively at it. Honestly, he felt it could use a touch of citrus of one form or another but he wasn't one to impose upon his hosts over much. At least not at that time in the morning. Not after spending so much of the evening before performing slight of hand tricks for the youngest folks in the community.
Kaziki Halcyon
Jedi
Jedi

PostAuthor: Pokere Nacht » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:15 pm

Pokere found herself, once again, uncertain of how to react to her master's demeanor. So she just stood there for a few long moments. She nodded to the woman who'd offered her tea. "Yes, please. Thank you." Her master was drinking it so she felt she had time to indulge. However, and that said, she had to ask, "Will there be no training today, master?"

She remained silent through her master's pleasantries with the young woman while awaiting his response to her question.
Pokere Nacht
Jedi
Jedi

PostAuthor: Kaziki Halcyon » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:09 pm

"Oh... thank you." Kimiko responded, blushing out just like Kaz had come to expect of her sister.

Did nobody ever flatter these women? He turned his attention to Pokere and eyed her for a long moment before responding. The Force had just provided him with direction once again. "In point of fact, there will be training today. It just won't be like yesterday. It appears that there is going to be a shopping trip into the port city. Am I correct Kimiko?" He glanced back at the woman as she came over to give Pokere her cup of tea.

"Yes, Knight Halcyon."

"Call me Kaz, please. Pokere here will be tagging along, on her speeder bike so I know there will be room for her. She is to familiarize herself with the culture and make at least three friends before she returns." Kaz looked at Pokere again. "And when I say three friends, I mean three people who will remember you by name and think quite fondly of having met you. Understood?"
Kaziki Halcyon
Jedi
Jedi

PostAuthor: Pokere Nacht » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:49 am

Pokere looked a bit lost as the situation unfolded before her, her master ordering her to go along on an errand. A shopping trip of all things. "But master... that's not training. It's a chore. What's to learn tagging along?" She looked to the Togruta in the room apologetically. "No offense, of course. I just don't see what it has to do with being a Jedi."

And making friends? What was the point of that. It was perfectly possible... nay, likely! that she would never return to Shili again in her entire life. What purpose would having three friends on Shili serve? Pokere continued to look disconcerted as Kaz explained what he meant by three friends. "Master... I don't understand... you just want me to go and meet people?"
Pokere Nacht
Jedi
Jedi

PostAuthor: Kaziki Halcyon » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:53 pm

Kaz raised an eyebrow slowly at his apprentice's thoughts on his offered training task. "Tell me, my young Apprentice, the answers to three questions. What is it that a Jedi does when traveling about the galaxy? Who has to understand what the point of a training task is? And, finally, who has to just do it and learn?"

He waived her toward the doorway she'd come in through. "Change your clothes, report outside, and then, yes. Go and meet people. However you can make them into friends will suffice." Kaz waited until she was gone before smiling to himself. "Adventure."
Kaziki Halcyon
Jedi
Jedi

PostAuthor: Pokere Nacht » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:29 pm

Tell me, my young Apprentice, the answers to three questions. Oh hell, that was as good as her master announcing 'and here is why you are wrong'. Only worse, because he was apparently about to illustrate to her that she already had the information and just hadn't utilized it. She lowered her head and folded her hands in embarrassment as he asked his three questions. She had to answer, there was nothing else for it and a Jedi didn't avoid consequences. The first question was the hardest but it was the one she felt she should answer first.

"Jedi endeavor to do good where ever they are, to leave others better for their presence. You do, master. I do, master." Don't question why, trust that he had a lesson in mind and do her best to learn all there was to learn from any given situation. She'd heard the speech from Tiki more than once. Knowing the point could distract from other learning possibilities, incidental or not. "I'll get ready."

Pokere left and returned to her pallet where her stuff waited, changing into her preferred Jedi robes, strapped on the wrist mounted datapad/com unit that her master had given her, and picking up her boots. She headed outside and put her boots on. She was on a strange world and headed toward an urban center. Something told her it was the right choice and she'd always been told to trust her feelings. She finished up and twirled once to ensure everything was secure but loose enough for her favored range of motion. She wasn't a huge fan of boots but it was for the best.

She made her way to where they'd parked the bikes the evening before, located hers, unlocked it and pushed it backward out into the open where she could prep it for the trip and be easily spotted by those who were going to be making the trip before she'd been added to the scenario. She was busily checking what was in her bike's stores when her wrist mounted datapad dinged at her. She checked it to find her personal account had received a fifty credit injection from a holding company on Nubia. She stared blankly for a long moment before it just dawned on her. Her master. She already had her monthly stipend in her account, he was using his family's wealth to put her above mere subsistence.

"Excuse me, lady Jedi." Pokere's attention snapped up to the source of the voice. One of the many Togruta in the community smiling at her from a dozen feet away. "We are gathering in a small courtyard on the northern side of the community, if you wish to bring your vehicle there." She gave another firm smile and headed off.

"I'll be right there," Pokere called after her and climbed aboard her speeder bike. She brought it to life and maneuvered it around the outside of the village until she spotted a small group of Togruta prepping a landspeeder. Two males and four females. Pokere pulled up and locked the parking system before stepping off the vehicle. "Hello, everyone. I'm Pokere. My master asked that I accompany you all into town, said it would be educational for me." She assumed there would be no problem.
Pokere Nacht
Jedi
Jedi

PostAuthor: Kaziki Halcyon » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:38 pm

"Well said, I will make the arrangements." Once she was gone Kaz turned his head slowly to regard Kimiko. "Can Pokere go on the shopping trip? I promise she won't get in the way. Pretty please?"

Kimiko chuckled, figuring Knight Halcyon had decided to take a day off and yet keep his apprentice to the grindstone. "Yes, I'll let them know. Enjoy your tea and my shopping list in the mean time." She snorted in amusement at her sister's partner as she walked out the back door to let one of the shoppers know they'd have a tag along.

That was precisely what he did, adding something hilarious right in the middle of the list where it would go relatively unnoticed while he plotted out the rest of his day.
Kaziki Halcyon
Jedi
Jedi

PostAuthor: Pokere Nacht » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:08 pm

The two males were tinkering with something in the speeder's engine compartment, one monitoring the readings in the cockpit and the other leaning over the engine tweaking whatever was concerning them. The females were bringing out sacks and empty boxes to load into the cargo compartment... and there was something going on there. Pokere looked in the speeder itself, took a head count, and the unnamed tension she was feeling through the Force explained itself. Somebody wasn't going to get to go and she had a feeling she knew who. The youngest of the four females, roughly Pokere's age as best she could estimate, was radiating anxiety into the Force. The anxiety was aimed at one of the older females who was being thick as thieves with another.

Pokere waited, watching. As much as she wanted to leap into the situation with both feet her confidence didn't allow for that. Not yet at least. It didn't take long for the other shoe to drop, as the saying went. Just as the loading was done the two practically pranced up to the one. "Sarai, Isus just remembered she has a very important errand to do in the city." The voice clicked, that was the one who had summoned Pokere to the courtyard they were currently occupying. "Then she should take her family's speeder into the city, it's my turn to go and they won't push everybody else's turn back just because I gave up my seat." The younger girl stood her ground bravely.

"Yeah, but the thing is I already promised her she could come with us. Don't be selfish." Even if Pokere had been Force blind, even if she hadn't been able to sense the tittering delight and casual cruelty rolling off the older two, the tone in which they were speaking to the younger made it plain that they had been planning this all along. The younger girl, Sarai, was being railroaded for no better reason than they believed they could. Pokere narrowed her eyes but continued to watch. "It's -my- turn, Jaquin!" "I know, I just don't care. Isus is going, you're staying, and there's nothing you can do about it." The two older girls sneered and then twinkled laughter as they headed for the back seat of the speeder where the third older girl already waited.

Still, Pokere waited. The younger held onto her anger with all the might of a bludgeoning weapon but remained silent... as that anger slipped toward tears of frustration. The landspeeder started up as the second male climbed into the front passenger seat, and Sarai's head began to fall. "Ride with me," Pokere said, adding a casual gesture toward the passenger portion of the seat on her speeder bike. "It's your turn to go, I have the space, and will need a guide anyway. You'll need to hol..."

"Really!?" Pokere was interrupted by the disbelieving exclamation, but she nodded with a smile all the same. The girl practically flew through the air in a tackle hug of excitement that, frankly, was infectious. Causing Pokere herself to feel a bit gitty at having so successfully navigated the situation. Everybody was happy, for the moment, and by the time the older two felt disappointment it would be the just reward for their earlier cruelty. Well, that and the description of the scenario Pokere had every intention of reporting to their respective parents upon her return to the community.

"Come on, mount up. You'll have to hold on tight, as I was saying. This is only the second time I've driven this bike and the first time I've ever carried a passenger." She mounted up easily, herself, as she spoke. Sarai scrambled up behind her and cinched in an anaconda hug from behind as Pokere started the bike. That amused Pokere even more as she had the feeling it was the long term continuation of the hug of thanks she'd gotten just a few moments before. She unlocked the parking controls and set into motion, picking up speed and, eventually, pulling up along side the landspeeder. It took only a second for self-involved outrage to radiate in the Force as the two older girls realized they'd been thwarted.

To Pokere, if felt like balance had been returned to the Force. At least for the moment.
Pokere Nacht
Jedi
Jedi

PostAuthor: Pokere Nacht » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:50 pm

The ride itself was uneventful except for passing her master along the way, dressed for the run he was taking toward the big rock that they passed shortly after. They made the city quickly enough and though the landspeeder stopped off at a warehouse-like shop near the edge of the city, Pokere and her companion continued inward toward the market district. With directions from Sarai, Pokere found a place to park the bike just a couple dozen meters from one of the entrances to an area that Sarai dubbed 'the Bazaar'.

Pokere waited until Sarai was off, using the extra seconds to secure the bike's operating system and then lock down the parking brake. As she dismounted the other girl started talking. "Hands down, this is where you will find the most people. In fact... you're likely to find it very very crowded." Sarai gave Pokere a careful look, waiting to see the verdict, good or ill.

"No, this is perfect. Awash with opportunity for meeting people and making friends." She straightened her clothing, safety patted her lightsabers, and headed toward the entrance with her companion in tow. "So is this something that happens often or is it once a year?" She ran a hand over her perfectly smooth head as she considered how to get started with her lesson mission.

"This never ends. There are night stalls and day stalls, all catering to the same services just at different times of the day. Food, games, clothing, produce, raw materials, tools, equipment sales, mounts, vehicles, animals of both stock and pet variety. The list goes on. They have everything, seriously. Anything you could want, up to and including several.... vices...." Sarai carried on for a while listing stuff that she particularly liked to do inside the Bazarr herself.

Pokere was listening, of course, but at the same time she was trying to fit the puzzle together in her head. How did she make friends? The Corellian was a confusing man, she would be the first to leap out and exclaim as much, but he had thus far been completely consistent in one matter. Her training. When he told her something was going to happen, it happened. When he asked her a question he was clear about it. When he gave a task, he was exacting. Her first instinct, the easy thought, was to simply go in and look for criminal activity to interrupt. Pokere was certain that would garner her no small amount of gratitude.

But gratitude wasn't friendship. Pokere knew the difference and she was absolutely certain that her master would claim that same difference on top of being disappointed that she'd taken the easy path. She didn't want to disappoint him, he'd been so proud of her up to her current situation, and she found that she greatly enjoyed that element of their relationship. Crime stopping was too general, impersonal even. So, how did one engender friendship? She looked over at her happily chatting companion, feeling the affection rolling off of the Togruta for her. All because she'd resolved one minor personal situation.

"Well, that answer hit me in the face."

"Answer, lady Jedi?" Sarai asked the question while blinking in apparent curiosity.

"Please, just call me Pokere, and the answer to my dilemma is what hit me. I need to go do good deeds of a personal nature. Look for people in need, take time out of my day, and help them overcome whatever prevents them from seeing that need fulfilled. Within reason, of course." She'd just flashed on a mental image of herself just handing alcohol to the local wino. That wouldn't help anybody and the wino certainly wouldn't appreciate it in any meaningful way. "Come, lets do some browsing and see what the Force floats our way."

"OK!" Sarai grabbed Pokere's hand and pulled her along into the press of the crowd. Her prediction that Pokere would find the situation packed was proven prophetic, indeed...
Pokere Nacht
Jedi
Jedi

Next

Return to Shili