Star Wars: Fate of the Galaxy | A post-canon "Star Wars" RPG

P-P-P-Pick Up A Padawan (TAG: Jiorral/Kaz)

Completed and abandoned RP threads.

Re: P-P-P-Pick Up A Padawan (TAG: Jiorral/Kaz)

PostAuthor: Kura Nuhok » Fri May 24, 2013 6:38 am

Casting her eyes almost appraisingly over Kaz as he asserted that, at some point, she wouldn't even need to ask a question for him to answer it, she arced a challenging eyebrow, a slight amused tilt to her lips. "You sound so sure of yourself," she replied quietly. It was almost as though he had had a vision of the future that he was teasing her with. She had had a few visions herself, but none that had made any sense, not until the events that they were hinting at had actually come to pass. She had always been a little reserved when sharing information received in her visions, and had only ever discussed them with her Master in the past. Idly, she wondered who she could talk them over with now, before quickly keeping her thoughts in check. It wouldn't do to forget that Kaz was pretty much able to read her every thought.

"I would not consider it 'subjective morality'," she replied, shaking her head. "All things may be used for good or for evil intent. However, that does not mean that I would overstep the bounds of my own morality and utilise a technique that I feel is wrong for me, no matter the ends." Some people might be able to be that flexible in their view on things, but Kura wasn't quite sure that she could use questionable tactics to achieve a goal. She smiled, though, inclining her head, as Kaz told her to ask any questions she wanted to. "You can be sure that I will ask," she stated.

It seemed as though Kaz was, for some reason, impressed with her reasons for not selecting Djem So to round out her form. Shien and Djem So were so intertwined that it was simple enough for someone to be able to counter Djem So with the same techniques used to best Shien. "And that is one more reason why I wish to learn," smiled Kura. "Of course, unlike you, I would still rely on Shien as my primary technique, but I am certain that Makashi can help me to develop into a more accomplished fighter."

Kaz appeared to be on the brink of answering her when she felt a concerned ripple in the Force, heading in their direction, and, as Kaz cocked his head, Kura turned to face the direction that the disturbance had come from. Kura flashed Kaz a grin. However, the relief that radiated from the woman at finding them put Kura on her guard, and she looked at her suspiciously as she asked whether the two of them had been assigned a mission.

"No, we have not," she replied carefully. "What is the matter?"
Kura Nuhok
Jedi
Jedi

Faction: Jedi

PostAuthor: Kaziki Halcyon » Fri May 24, 2013 12:34 pm

Sadly, his opportunities to mess with her some more, both on the subject of her thoughts and her using the definition of subjective morality to fend off his accusation of having joined him in that oh so practical world, were cut short by the Master's question and continuation. "There is an emergency, you are handling it now. Come with me immediately." She turned, her grim determination all that was left after she'd manage to locate a pair of presumably capable Jedi Knights. She strode away confident in the fact that they would be following, whether they thought to or not. Kaz chuckled and jogged over to snatch his robe up off the ground then follow her. The black robe, a rarity among the Jedi, went back over his green and black outfit as he fell in behind the Master to wait for Kura to join him.

"Look at that, we stop looking for adventures and adventures start looking for us. The Force waits for no Jedi." He merely continued to smile as if there weren't a care in the world...

------------------------------------------------------------------

The Jedi Master led them out of the ruins and into the tent complex that housed the vast majority of the remaining Jedi Order, as often as any of them were actually there. Once again the place looked like a ghost town as the Jedi had once more taken to spreading their too few numbers far too thin across a galaxy that was both dangerous and hostile all too often. She had a hurried step and didn't pause even once as she guided Kaz and Kura through the labyrinth of tents and faux alleys until they came to the communication nerve center of the entire Jedi Order. The communications tent was massive and full of enough equipment to make a fleet command vessel jealous. A quartet of Masters stood around a halo-well projector that was at that moment displaying a system map of some unknown (to Kaz and Kura) star.

"I found a pair in the ruins working on their swordsmanship." "Excellent." Grand Master K'kruhk lifted his head and inspected the two. There was a momentary pause as he no doubt used the Force to improve his memory. "Jedi Halcyon, Jedi Nuhok... one of our own appears to be in a great deal of danger. Time is short and it may very well be too late but we can't afford such a thing to go uninvestigated. Come here, have a look." He began to input a command on the console before him.

Kaz strode forward without hesitation, especially since this didn't seem to be a crap job but rather an emergency that had come when only they were available to handle it, focusing himself on the holodisplay as it shifted to a recording of an incoming transmission.
Kaziki Halcyon
Jedi
Jedi

PostAuthor: Kura Nuhok » Sat May 25, 2013 9:39 am

Kura flicked Kaz a trepidatious glance as the Master called them to handle an emergency. A wave of determination rolled from the Master, who strode out of the ruins. Frowning, Kura attached her lightsaber to the strip of hide around her waist, and collected her robes from the back of the bench where she had hung them. She cast a wry smile towards Kaz as he commented on adventure finding them. "So it would appear," she replied quietly, unsure as to whether or not she was ready for this. After all, last time, she had been a part of a larger team. This time... well, it appeared as though she and Kaz would be out on their own. She swallowed deeply, and, nodding to Kaz as she shrugged on her robes over her fighting garb, she headed off after the Master.

-------------------------------------------------------

On more than one occasion, Kura felt that they were at risk of getting lost in the labyrinthine tent city that had sprung up on Ossus to home the Jedi Order. However, that was because she was following the Master, rather than allowing the Force to guide her. It was almost as though she didn't want to rely on the Force for absolutely everything, as though she didn't want to give up that small "normal" part of her that wasn't solely centred on the Force and being a Jedi.

She hadn't expected to be brought into the presence of Grand Master K'Kruhk, though, and her instinct was to incline her head in respect, even before he had addressed she and Kaz. She hadn't recognised the sector of the galaxy that had been on the display before the transmission began, but found herself almost overwhelmed by the feeling of concern and danger that was rolling from the Masters in the room.

Unsure of protocol, she hesitated for a second before joining Kaz at the holo-display, frowning as the incoming transmission was played.
Kura Nuhok
Jedi
Jedi

PostAuthor: Unifying Force » Sat May 25, 2013 3:09 pm

There was a burst of visual static that quickly resolved into a male Duros in standard tan and brown Jedi robes. Even in spite of his alien features his expression betrayed a being under a great deal of pressure and stress, both in the short term and likely over the previous few days. He'd been speaking already and the sound broke a few times before resolving itself just as the visual data had before. "... are missing, communications have been sabotaged or destroyed, and we are quickly discovering there is no secure location from which to make a stand. This thing... it can chew through durasteel and quick. It ambushes, it hunts, and it knows how to isolate us. If it wasn't for the fighter having a hypercom this message wouldn't be getting out at all."

"I had to sneak here, will be returning to the com center to protect the others, all of the dishes are down so you won't be able to get a message back." There was a noise off in the background that got the Duros' attention instantly, his green bladed lightsaber snapping to life as he turned. "It's here. No." He turned at another sound from apparently the opposite direction. "No... there's more than one. Hurry! Send anyone with a ship! Shebs!" The Duros dove out of frame, his lightsaber giving off the sound of a solid impact as he slapped it at whatever had just flashed across the visual. The fighter bounced on its struts as something heavy dropped onto it and suddenly the picture was gone.

The Masters looked to the two Jedi and found Kaz staring at the control panel that was before him. The recorded transmission popped back up and advanced to the point of the Duros Jedi igniting his lightsaber. It slowed but still made no sound until it got to the frame where something shot past at a shocking speed. It froze on that blurry shadow. Kaz hit a few more buttons and the image sharpened up just as much as it was likely to. Still, it was more of a shadowy, blurred outline than anything definitive. The Jedi Masters continued to watch as Kaz worked there was the feeling that they had already done this particular activity.

He dialed through the contrast one way and then the other, giving the impression of some sort of armor, and that got the Masters attention instantly. Apparently they hadn't thought of that trick before, causing Kaz to grin. "I knew all those years of tuning in restricted holo-channels, more or less, would come in handy." The scandalized look Kaz got from the female master that had led them there got a wink in return. K'kruhk whispered to one of the other Masters who immediately set about moving the image to another computer to compare it to known creatures in the database. "Sadly, the Jedi Library isn't what it used to be. The two of you are being sent to investigate this, immediately. Now. Whatever you need, pull it and go."

Kaz bowed and stepped back, heading for the exit but pausing to wait for Kura.
I AM THE FORCE!
Unifying Force
The Force
The Force

Faction: Unaligned Systems

PostAuthor: Kura Nuhok » Sat May 25, 2013 7:22 pm

Kura watched the transmission with a sober, taut expression on her face. Whatever had happened there was serious, and a shiver raced down her spine as the Duros came under attack from... something. Whatever it was, it was fast, it was seemingly deadly, and had already managed to wipe out whoever had been at the outpost on this particular planet. She cast a worried, wary look at Kaz. This seemed to be a job for a team of experienced Jedi and support crew. not a newly-minted partnership of Knights.

Feeling the curiosity and concentration wafting from Kaz, Kura moved up next to him, her shoulder casually touching his, she watched as he fiddled with the settings of the display. At first, things were little more than a blur: a fast-moving smudge across the screen, a smudge that was almost indistinguishable from its surroundings at first glance. It really could have been anything.

She felt the forced tolerance from the Masters as Kaz tried techniques that they had already failed with, and the surprise as he attempted something new. She tossed her new partner a grin as he managed to achieve something that the Masters had failed at. Kaz was destined for great things, of that she was sure, and, for that reason - amongst others - she was proud to be his partner. Kura frowned, though, at the lack of information, and, to her at least, the distinct lack of intelligence and instructions. It would appear that she and Kaz were to gather their own intelligence, and then act on it appropriately.

She paled, although she doubted that anyone other than - possibly - Kaz might notice the difference in colour on the skin and montrals.

So as Kaz had bowed and retreated, she waited only a few seconds longer before doing likewise, and joined him at the open flap of the tent, a concerned expression on her face. She arced an eyebrow up at him, not feeling altogether comfortable with the turbulence in the Force that she was feeling.

"I do not like this, Kaz," she murmured huskily, her face puzzled and worried. "I cannot help but feel that we are unprepared for such a mission."
Kura Nuhok
Jedi
Jedi

PostAuthor: Kaziki Halcyon » Sat May 25, 2013 10:43 pm

"I'm not a huge fan of it either... what are we talking about? I'm talking about rice cakes." He blinked realizing that she might have still been brooding over the situation they'd just walked out of. When she expanded upon the nature of her dislike he made a face of realization with a little ah of understanding. "I went through the whole voicing my misgivings phase as well. Believe me, it doesn't go over well with the upper management. The details are our problem but I'll go ahead and let you in on a little trick I've developed over the years." He gave Kura a conspiratorial look, complete with slick smile as he paused them amongst the tents.

Kaz made a show of looking around for eavesdroppers before continuing. "Read into everything they say. And in this case we are working with, and I quote, 'whatever you need, pull it and go.' That's a blank letter of credit if ever I've had one handed to me... and I have. Several times. Actual ones. Which reminds me, this seems like a terrible situation to go into alone. You ever hear of the Antarian Rangers?" His grin was bright and cheery as he tapped something into his datapad. "You got any gear or the like you need to pick up before we go? Also, can you pilot a shuttle?" She already knew he didn't like flying, the Antarians weren't going to land the ship he was requesting on the planet, and neither of them were the teleporting type.
Kaziki Halcyon
Jedi
Jedi

PostAuthor: Kura Nuhok » Sun May 26, 2013 2:35 pm

As appeared to be his wont, Kaz made light of her misgivings about the situation. How could she explain that it was more than just feeling unprepared? When she had seen the creature that he had paused on the screen, Kura had felt a jolt that almost bordered on the whole "vision" territory. She just couldn't put a finger on what it was that had caused that feeling, and, until she could, she wasn't about to burden Kaz with anything. As such, she masked her deeper concerns with the general feeling of being unprepared. She smiled, though, as he made the effort to reassure her that he had been through the same sort of feelings.

"I find it hard to believe that you have ever had a misgiving in your entire life," she stated, nevertheless grateful that he would attempt to make her feel less unsure. Her eyes widened, and an incredulous laugh escaped her as Kaz affirmed that they had just been given carte blanche to acquire whatever they needed for the mission. Nodding as he asked whether she had heard of the Antarian Rangers, Kura smiled slightly. "I have heard of them, but never worked with them," she explained. She knew how they worked, and what their function was in relation to the Jedi, though.

"I have my standard kit I would need to collect," she confirmed. And, before they left, she would need to re-stain her skin with Norris root extract again: better to be prepared for any eventuality. "And I can pilot a shuttle adequately, yes." Not amazingly well, but as long as it was just a case of getting from A to B, they should be okay. "Which type of ship are you looking to recquisition?"
Kura Nuhok
Jedi
Jedi

PostAuthor: Kaziki Halcyon » Mon May 27, 2013 12:27 pm

Kaz stopped, turning toward her with a raised eyebrow. "I am human, Kura. No matter what you see on the outside there was a time when I questioned my master nearly as much as you question yourself. My master had the joyous tendency to answer those questions, fortunately, believing the pursuit of understanding worth no end of hilariously ignorant questions. As long as I didn't do it in front of others where it would undermine their perception of our unity and authority. I would like to think that I will continue that habit with my apprentices as well." He gently gestured at Kura with the last bit and gave her a wink. "My father and I agree to disagree more often than not."

His smile redoubled at her laugh as his point got across, they were hardly unarmed though there wasn't going to be a full combat group either. There just weren't enough Jedi and Kaz wasn't prepared to take on the responsibility of a group of initiates, no matter how well trained, against an unknown opponent that might have already done in a fully trained Jedi. Kura gave her response regarding the Antarian Rangers and Kaz nodded sagely. "My family has been working with them on and off for centuries, I'm going to call them up for this. Well armed numbers might end up being the key to handling whatever we're up against. Armed being the operative word." Kaz was momentarily distracted by the thought and started typing into the datapad on his forearm.

"Alright, you collect your gear, the motorpool reports a fairly new J-1 on station and ready to go so I've reserved it. Meet me there, unit gamma-3. I'll get my stuff and arrange our rendezvous with the Rangers, then be along momentarily. If I get the group I want we'll be going in an Action-class Freighter that has been converted to a light corvette level combat vessel." He gave her a reassuring smile, patting her shoulder with a hand. "Any questions?"
Kaziki Halcyon
Jedi
Jedi

PostAuthor: Kura Nuhok » Mon May 27, 2013 3:07 pm

Kura twitched a corner of her lips upwards as Kaz assured her that he was human. "I can see that you are human," she grinned. "You just seem... well, so sure of everything that it is hard to believe that you, too, could have ever had doubts or questions about anything at all." Kaz's display of confidence was unusual, to say the least, and, once again, Kura wondered whether it was a conscious act to hide something else, something that he would rather not show to the world at large.

She shot him one of those looks when he teased her lightly about being his apprentice now. They were supposed to be equals, although she was unsure that she would ever feel that way. She nodded soberly as Kaz explained his reasons for calling in the Antarian Rangers. She would certainly be happier if she and Kaz weren't the only two people investigating this particular situation. "Strength in numbers may very well be the key to dealing with this," she agreed. "There can be no harm in having sufficient firepower to deal with whatever may happen."

Holding Kaz's gaze steadily as he told her where to meet him, Kura raised an eyebrow. "You are lucky in that I have flown the J-1 before," she grinned. "But I recall that you do not like to fly. Are you going to be alright on the journey?" It would be easy enough to keep him occupied while on the larger vessel, as it was being crewed by the Rangers, but, while she was having to concentrate on flying the shuttle, there would be little that she could do in order to distract Kaz from the flight. She smiled as he laid a hand on her shoulder reassuringly. "You will be the first to know if I have any questions, Kaz," she replied. "Do you have any questions," she fired back with a light, teasing note in her voice.
Kura Nuhok
Jedi
Jedi

PostAuthor: Kaziki Halcyon » Tue May 28, 2013 9:37 am

"I Jedi's strength flows from within. If we were not confident in our abilities we wouldn't be able to employ those abilities in stressful situations. In life there is a time and place for questions, even those questions that must be aimed inward, but beyond that time and place we must trust in our training, the Force, our fellows, and most importantly... ourselves. I have misgivings daily, I just handle them before breakfast." He gave her a reassuring smile that turned a smidge teasing as he continued. "One morning you'll awaken, roll over, and find me a flutter with self-doubt."

He held up his hands in placation as she shot him the look and his grinned turned to one of abashed amusement. "The Antarian Rangers have experience working with Jedi, better prepared than all but the most militant of Initiates, etc.. They'll be exactly what we need."

Kaz nodded at her assertion of luck. "I've vomited on one before, it's like we're connected by fate." J-1's were so common among the Jedi, especially before the most recent Purge, that the things were often referred to as 'Jedi Shuttles' so it hardly surprised him that Kura had piloted one on at least one occasion. Of course, he was being misleading. He'd vomited on far more than one. "As quickly as I can I'll be throwing myself into a healing hibernation or the like, while on the shuttle. The vessel they should send from the Antarians will be large enough that I can ignore the situation. Anything medium freighter or larger isn't usually a problem, they don't jump around like a saddled cat."

She teased him back about questions and he made a show of appearing to give it a moment's thought. Just as he began to mosey off in the direction he needed to go, stepping backwards casually he shot her a grin. "How long have you been aware of your crush on me?" With that he neatly turned on his heel and beat a hasty retreat.
Kaziki Halcyon
Jedi
Jedi

PreviousNext

Return to Game Archive