Star Wars: Fate of the Galaxy | A post-canon "Star Wars" RPG

Greater good

Completed and abandoned RP threads.

Greater good

PostAuthor: Eanin » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:32 pm

M4D31 139 ABY

It started slowly, the first sign of it's coming only in the twitch of the many leaves populating the dense forest at the edge of the clearing. Some of the branches started to sway, gently at first, but becoming more and more frantic as the full strength of the breeze swept through. The forest creaked, the strain of bending to the force of the gust while struggling to remain intact becoming audible. The winds were unrelenting though, and for many long seconds a question hung over the forest - would the branches wear the turbulent winds, or would they begin to break.

Soon, the winds died, bringing the answer. The branches had flexed, had bent, had given way, or had stood firm. Those seeking such an analogy might have likened this behaviour to other conflicts in recent history. But it would take the adept thinker to raise the question as to whether it truly meant everything. Whether the storm winds won the day, or the trees, they were both important parts of the same system.

Of course, all of this was somewhat lost on Eanin, who's mind, as per usual, was in a far off place. He stood halfway between the boundary wall of the makeshift Jedi base and the forest, waiting silently and patiently, and failing to even perceive the sudden violent gust. He was waiting, though not particularly expectantly, for a member of the High Council.

His green robes and dusty brown cloak had rippled, but then settled again with the winds. The sand still caught in the items spoke of the rapid transition Eanin had made to Ossus from Escabar. He had lived there for some time, yet leaving had been easy, simple, and natural even...

He stood at the edge of the landing field. On Escabar, and in Genhabala specifically, this meant very little. A permacrete octagon, fitted with indicator lights at the edges, was all that gave the impression that the area was different from the rest of the village in any way. If not for the inconvenience of digging out starships of which the landing gear had sunk into the sand, they would probably not have bothered with establishing a designated landing area at all.

A few minutes after the Farghul arrived, a pitched whine started cutting through the noise of the near-constant buffeting winds. Eanin raised his eyes to the sky, shielding them with his hands as he scanned for the transport. It was only a speck at first, but descended fast enough that the jedi could discern the shape moments later. It was a configuration he didn't recognise, though he suspected that the only one he would recognise would be the J-1. He had never been particularly interested in starships.

He had been expecting the ship. He hadn't been notified that it was coming by message, nor through vision in the Force. He had simply known. For the many years he had been on Escabar, he had felt peaceful, that he was where he needed to be. Several days prior, though, that feeling had ended. It hadn't been violent, nor disturbing, and some might have missed it entirely. Eanin had simply accepted it, and started making his preparations to leave.

The meaning of the change was simple. Somehow, somewhere else, he could be of help.

Several minutes later, the freighter had settled itself down neatly onto the small platform. As the boarding ramp lowered, the Jedi bent down to pick up the small pack that contained the few items he "owned", and started walking closer. He didn't recognise either of the two Jedi that emerged, but judging by their age he doubted either had been Knighted by the time he had gone into hiding.

"Would you believe it. The Masters said we wouldn't need to spend any time looking for you. I wasn't sure what they were hinting at at the time, though. Master Eanin, it is a pleasure to meet you." The Farghul smiled a gentle smile at the Knight that had spoken first. He was a master of that smile, and it quickly settled the nerves that had cause the rush of words.

"Thank you for the ride, friends. Do you need to pick up supplies here, or shall we be underway?"

"No need, Master, we stopped on Aruza on the way. Welcome aboard the Rusty Warbler. I'm Stanz, and my silent partner here is Lutoro."

The Farghul couldn't help but let a chuckle escape him at the ship's name, and it appeared that this was the intended effect, for both Knight's beamed brightly at him for it. "Very well. Now, you must tell me what you were doing on Aruza. I wouldn't think there would be much of concern for the Order there?" he asked, quickly sparking a conversation.

Abruptly, Eanin returned to the present. He was no longer alone in the field, although there was nothing alarming to him about the new presence. He turned, beaming a broad smile.
Eanin

Faction: Unknown

Re: Greater good

PostAuthor: Master K-Kruhk [NPC] » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:11 pm

"Welcome home, Master Eanin. I cannot tell you what it means to have another Jedi Master added to the fold at this late date, especially one as experienced as yourself." Grand Master K'kruhk strode along the wall of the temple, moving to stand beside Eanin and turning to face the same direction that the Farghul Jedi Master had been. Then the Whiphid Jedi Master did what too few beings in the galaxy could do, he truly perceived what he was looking at. It was a sight he'd seen endlessly over the last year but as a Master K'kruhk was capable of dispelling sense of the mundane, to see things with fresh eyes. To truly see the things before him.

"There are too few tried and true Jedi in the galaxy, even less Masters. Let alone Masters of your impeccable record, Master Eanin." K'kruhk turned back to face the other Master and gave him the best smile a Whiphid face could manage. "Which is why I cannot be more relieved at the timing of your return. I would be lying if I said things were going well and you could take your time getting reacquainted with things but I'm afraid we are stretched far to thin to allow a grace period. I'm afraid I already have an assignment, a mission, that requires the attention of a Jedi Master of your providence."
Master K-Kruhk [NPC]
Jedi
Jedi

PostAuthor: Eanin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:48 am

Eanin's beaming smile became even more broad at the Whiphid's words of home. Even though he had found purpose on Escabar, he was gladdened that his life had returned him to the Jedi Order. He knew it was the place where he could have the best possible good influence. 'Yet,' he thought, 'I must heed the lessons of my exile.' If he didn't, he would be fated to repeat them.

The Farghul listened as the leader of the Order spoke. He knew little of the state of the Jedi, having been limited to news reported to the galaxy at large, and rumours that arrived with the few travellers and immigrants that came to dry Escabar. One such rumour had especially frustrated him. It had said that the Order was broken. Even though the time had not come for Eanin to return, the Master couldn't help but feel frustrated at being unable to render his aid to the Order which he had served his entire life. Yet, a lifetime as a Jedi had also taught him the dangers of impatience.

Now, though, he had returned, and hoped to have a hand in rebuilding that order. And it appeared that he would be given his opportunity. The situation sounded dire. Then again, he doubted that there had ever been a time when there had been a sufficient number of Jedi to face all the troubles of the galaxy. And the Jedi had always persevered.

"I am here to serve, Master. What would you have me do?" he asked plainly.
Eanin

PostAuthor: Master K-Kruhk [NPC] » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:24 am

K'kruhk watched in silence as Master Eanin seemed to ruminate for a moment before responding exactly as K'kruhk had expected. It was a genuine relief to have such a proper subject return to the fold, a Master no less, that knew what it was to have proper respect for the way things needed to be when the dust of war settled. Just the person he needed for the job he had in mind. "Excellent. I don't know how much you know about what's been going on within the Order since the fall of Krayt but some have had trouble letting go of the... independence they were forced to operate under while avoiding the Sith."

"That's a matter you will need to keep in mind as you go forward on this assignment, irreverence is becoming... problematic." K'kruhk produced a datapad with the details he needed to relay. It was also loaded with the recording of the holo transmission and the poor image of the creature they'd managed with the younger Halcyon's help. "A few days ago we received a holocom transmission from a Devaronian colony, it was one of our Jedi who had stopped there in his peace keeping duties due to a report of a suspicious vessel lingering around the system. He was attacked mid transmission."

K'kruhk offered the datapad to Master Eanin. "Everything we have so far is on that pad. At the time we needed to send somebody, anybody, to assist our Knight and that colony. The first two Knights to come to hand were one Kaziki Halcyon of Corellia and Kura Nuhok of Shili. The two were training together and were brought in on the assignment, and sent to the colony world immediately. We have since been informed that they rendezvoused with an Antarian Ranger ship and been to the planet. From there... we received an after thought of text only message informing us our Jedi were pursuing a lead toward, of all places, Bastion."

K'kruhk sighed softly. "Sadly, this has become the standard operating procedure of the Corellian Knights and we have yet to figure out the hierarchy that allows them to continue to operate as such but that's not for you to worry about at this juncture. Instead, I would like you to intercept our two Knights at Bastion and take over the mission. If it is something you can handle on your own send them both back, if not you have situational freedom on the matter. Of course. And, most important of all, we would appreciate a full update regarding what they have found and why they find it necessary to go to the Imperial capital."
Master K-Kruhk [NPC]
Jedi
Jedi

PostAuthor: Eanin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:06 pm

Eanin couldn't help but become increasingly concerned. The Grandmaster had not seemed surprised at the Farghul's ascension, yet seemed to still have found some relief in it. The words that followed expounded the problem, and the warning was most troubling of all.

Eanin didn't have a problem with Jedi acting independently, and knew full well that there were times when it was required. In addition there was the simple fact the Council could not micro-manage every assignment. Yet, there was still considerable expectations of Jedi to do as the leaders of the Order asked.

Even more importantly, Eanin believed Jedi should heed the guidance and wisdom of the Council.

Despite his own failures, despite the struggles that had faced the Jedi Order for eons, he believed that even greater destruction would be wrought on the galaxy should it be filled with Force users acting on their own guidance. Probably not immediately - most of the active Jedi would likely stick to their training - but as time wore on and generations passed, the wisdom of the Jedi would be eroded.

Eanin dismissed the thought from his mind, realising that it had started bounding forward in time, and returned to the present situation. He listened attentively as the Grandmaster spoke, and accepted the datapad, effortlessly slipping it into a pocket in his robes. Although reading through what was available would likely bring more questions than answers, he knew that asking them of K'Kruhk would be pointless.

He continued to listen, and paid special heed to the names that were offered, but recognised neither. 'Have I been away so long?' he wondered. What unsettled him most was that if he failed to recognise either name, it likely meant that both were relatively new Jedi Knights. The way the Whiphid phrased how it was that they had been chosen was even more worrying.

Eanin considered the Bastion question as well. He had never been so deep in Imperial space, but had no major misgivings at going there. Admittedly there was a lot of sentiment that hung around the name, but he paid little heed to such things.

"Very well, Master. I shall depart as soon as possible." he answered. A few questions came to mind, but he rejected all of them. With the situation what it was, he expected the Grandmaster knew little more than he did. Questions with regards to Halcyon and Nuhok could be put aside as well. He would have liked to know who had taught them, but could get a hold of such information easily before he left.

"Is there anything else?" he asked.
Eanin

PostAuthor: Master K-Kruhk [NPC] » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:21 am

K'kruhk arched an eyebrow. There was loyalty and confidence, and then there was blindly obeying and overconfidence. Eanin had been largely silent, speaking the absolute minimum in order to continue the briefing. It unsettled the Grand Master somewhat. "There is. Stop by the quartermasters and draw down new replacements for anything in your equipment, as a Master they'll give you the very best we have. I'm sure a few things can be updated entirely and you'll be supplied with all of our up to date data codes."

The Grand Master tilted his head. "And, of course, I will now answer any questions you might have about the mission that I can. I don't want you walking in misinformed, underestimating one of the Halcyons is not a habit I want another Master falling into. There are three of them in the Order now, two are Masters and one is on the Council..."
Master K-Kruhk [NPC]
Jedi
Jedi

PostAuthor: Eanin » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:13 pm

The Farghul considered the Grand Master's instruction, his mind already working to decide what he needed to replace. He had learnt to do without much in his time away, and considered not doing as the Whiphid instructed. To some extent, he didn't want to be a tax on the Order, an Order that was facing a very different type of existence now. Resources looked to be scarce already.

However, he was also fully aware that there were some things he would be foolish to compromise on. He could not afford to be found wanting for something purely because his pride had him thinking he was doing a service for the Order in his martyrdom.

With that matter settled, Eanin turned his attention to what K'Kruhk had said next. He wasn't quite sure what to make of it, and said so. "Another Master?" It sounded to the Farghul like someone else had already made that mistake. "I'm also not quite certain what you mean by 'underestimating one of the Halcyons'?, Grand Master. Certainly this..." Eanin struggled for a moment to remember. "...Kaziki, if he was Knighted by virtue of merit, will not be working against the Order? Young or not, surely these are still Jedi Knights?" he asked.

"I would also be interested to hear what sort of...welcome...we should expect on Bastion. I know officially we are working with the Fel Empire, but that doesn't speak much as to our relationship with the Imperial Knights."
Eanin

PostAuthor: Master K-Kruhk [NPC] » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:54 pm

With a resigned sigh, K'kruhk nodded. "I'm afraid I have to take responsibility for that, I am the other Master I speak of. Suffice it to say Master Ryld Halcyon, Knight Halcyon's father, is on the council and currently in charge of the Order's finances. Meanwhile, we know essentially nothing about what the Corellian Jedi are doing, what resources they have, or how they managed to so effectively avoid the recent Purge. And yet... I can't help but come away from every Council meeting with the vague impression that the Corellian Jedi are currently better organized and funded than the rest of the Order. You can see why that would be... concerning to me?"

K'kruhk looked around to see that there were no others nearby though certainly he knew there was little chance he had missed such a thing in the Force. It was always good not to rely too heavily on such things, especially with the small colony of Yuuzhan Vong on the planet. "As for Knight Halcyon, himself, he is one of a generation of Knights who came to the rank during a time of great strain and danger. The tactics that served him well then serve him well now, there is no doubt that he has been effective, but every Jedi should know the ends don't justify the means. Tactics that were appropriate during the Purge are not necessarily appropriate now."

"Young Kaziki attained his rank among the Corellians before they rejoined the Order. Expediency and numbers demanded that we accept those ranks without much question but since we became aware of him Knight Halcyon has proven unconventional in a concerning way, including the use of a tactic often identified with the Sith. Dun Möch, specifically. A rather alarming surprise when he bested one of our instructors in a practice spar by, and I quote, 'talking her into a mistake' she would not have otherwise made." K'kruhk shook his head again before continuing.

"The Fel Empire has been moderately polite. We are allowed in their space but not encouraged to do so, citing their Imperial Knights are more than adequate to do what we would be doing there anyway. In return we have endeavored not to strain that polite refusal of our presence. We cannot truly afford to put Jedi in Imperial space at this juncture anyway, there are just not enough of us. Yet another reason I am greatly concerned by where Knights Halcyon and Nuhok are headed. On a light war ship, of all things."
Master K-Kruhk [NPC]
Jedi
Jedi

PostAuthor: Eanin » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:09 am

Listening quietly, Eanin grew ever more subdued as the Grand Master expounded upon the situation within the Order's ranks. His tail, which had been swaying gently behind him, now hung limp, and his typically pitched ears flattened out. Most outsiders would hear what the Whiphid had to say, and fail to recognise the gravity of the situation. Eanin was no outsider, however, and not of it was lost on his sensibilities. The Corellian Jedi had ever been a contentious issue among the Jedi Order, and one that he could not see being easily resolved.

Eanin nodded as the Jedi Grand Master spoke of his concerns, and spoke after a few seconds of quiet. "Perhaps they learned the lessons from the previous purge better than we did. Perhaps it was their association with Corellia, and their home system's willingness to aid them. However, I do not believe speculation to be the most fruitful use of our time."

The Farghul grew positively distressed at what came next. 'Did the Grand Master just look around to make sure nobody was listening?' he thought, somewhat in disbelief. He quickly realised that he wanted eagerly not to believe that the Jedi Order was so close to bordering on collapse, that distrust among even Council members was the order of the day.

Eanin hadn't expected to come back to an Order at full strength, and had accepted that the path ahead to rebuilding all that had been destroyed would be a long one. This, however, was much, much more desperate, and fully fraught with danger. Worst of all, Eanin wasn't sure he was prepared for it. Suddenly, K'Kruhk's words earlier about Eanin not having the opportunity carried much more weight.

Most of the rest of what the Grand Master had to say changed little to Eanin's sentiment. He realised what he needed to do, and would have to accept that doing it would take more out of him than anything he had previously done. And not just him.

"Then I shall follow the Knights there directly. If we have one available, I would prefer a recording of the sparring session you spoke of. And, perhaps something of the other Jedi as well. Is there anything of concern I should expect from Nuhok? Have they worked together before?"
Eanin

PostAuthor: Master K-Kruhk [NPC] » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:10 pm

K'kruhk made a gesture of sweeping acceptance, nodding in agreement. "I agree. I have no doubt they got through the Purge more gracefully than the rest of us by standing on familiar ground. My concern is solely for the here and now." The Grand Master wasn't concerned with how they had managed it, there was no sense of darkness amongst them that needed investigating, he just wanted all the Jedi unified. They couldn't operate and maximum efficiency if there was always a quiet sub-sect with one foot out the door, as if they were just waiting for the next Purge to come down the pipe. The idea that they were withholding resources to make that departure possible was even worse, in K'kruhk's mind.

"I'm afraid that a recording of a sparring match is beyond our resources at this juncture, though I can have Master Jinsun contact you when she returns to Ossus from her current assignment and give you a profound description. It affected her greatly and I doubt she'll forget it anytime soon. As for Knight Nuhok, we have her entire personnel file, both her mother and her training Master were very thorough in recording her deeds and progress before and after she was an Initiate at the Hidden Temple. She is a young Knight, just recently come to the rank, with a great deal of potential. Her Master has high expectations for her, even though she shows a small lack of confidence in her own abilities. It's that lack of confidence, I believe, that has allowed her to be drawn into Knight Halcyon's wake. He has a high degree of personal charm."

K'kruhk seemed to think about it for a moment before continuing. "Before encountering Knight Halcyon while assisting the G.A. in rooting out a Sith training facility on Kowak, Knight Nuhok had all the makings and indications of a conservative. You'll likely find her very reliable if you can set her back on the proper path, she isn't prone to wandering off when a situation loses her interest."
Master K-Kruhk [NPC]
Jedi
Jedi

Next

Return to Game Archive