Star Wars: Fate of the Galaxy | A post-canon "Star Wars" RPG

Scum and Villainy [Auren]

A large space station in the Besh Gorgon System, a popular haunt with the less savoury types in the Galaxy.

Scum and Villainy [Auren]

PostAuthor: Darth Murdus » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:05 pm

"I gave my love to Charan.
She promised to be true.
I went to war to come back and find five Rebel soldiers
Had their way with her.
It was consensual..."

The dank bars and seedy taverns sprinkled about over the Wheel were great places to go to lose one's self in drink or lose one's teeth in combat, but whenever Murdus chose to come around, he tried to bring a bit more culture to the mix. On this occasion, as on more than a few others, he'd been successful in getting a fair number of the patrons--and even one of the bouncers--to join him in singing a quick, but somber tune. They were people of various planets, species, and creeds, but in those moments, they were united by some shared understanding of the sorrow felt by one Imperial officer decades ago.

Also, they were really quite drunk.

"And all their fathers were frozen
In the blackest Carbonite..."

Murdus sat in the center of the gathered circle, leading them all through the end of the song. He was Junahthur here, though; while he had abandoned that as a true name quite some time ago, it was still useful for those times when he didn't wish to immediately sound like a Sith (and those times had grown quite frequent). Dark in tone as the song happened to be, he appeared to be enjoying himself. And, when the song was over, he joined the gathered patrons in a round of laughter, toasting, and back-slapping. It was all a bit barbaric for one as cultured as himself, but there was a strange and potent appeal in watching others indulge themselves in a bit of (mostly) harmless barbarism. After all, peace was a lie; there was only passion.

He took a break from their revelry to make his way back to the bar to order another round of drinks, paid for with money that he'd acquired through arguably illicit means at a sabacc table. "Corellian rum for the boys, would you kindly?" he spoke once he had the bartender's attention, having adopted an unrefined Coruscanti accent for the evening simply because it was a fun one to mimic. His eyes shifted to a woman already seated there while he waited. He imagined this might be a rather more peaceful place for a lone patron on most days, but with all the rabble-rousing he was instigating, certainly not so much now. "Ya know, we're not particularly picky about who joins the songs, miss," he said to her. "In fact, a feminine voice might help break up the deeper tones a bit. You should join in."
Darth Murdus

Faction: Unknown

Re: Scum and Villainy [Auren]

PostAuthor: Auren Donos » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:35 pm

Fozbeer wasn't cutting it tonight. Auren had opted for the Ithorian Mist, and it was having the desired effect: despite having eaten a hearty meal, she was already feeling more than a little buzzed. She had had a good couple of weeks, crewing for a small Mandalorian smuggling ship, but the captain's plans to indulge in a little piracy had led to her jumping ship at The Wheel. Sure, she might be more than a little shady, but there were still lines that Auren wouldn't cross.

Not many, though.

Usually, this particular tavern was quiet and relatively discreet, but tonight it seemed as though fortune wasn't smiling on the black-sheep Corellian. A group of drunken men were singing a morose song in a corner, not making any secret of the fact that it was a somewhat bawdy ditty. No-one cared, though; it certainly wasn't any sort of refined establishment, and, in truth, it was probably Auren herself, quiet and alone, who was out of place that evening. Burying that thought in the bottom of her glass, she decked the Ithorian Mist back, and signalled for another one to the bartender. She had no plans to leave the space station for a few days, so getting bombed wasn't likely to prove a problem.

She nodded in thanks as another glass of whiskey was slipped across the bar to her, only briefly taking notice to the man who had appeared to be the ringleader of the noisy, impromptu choir. It took a second for Auren to realise that he was addressing her, and she turned, glass being toyed with between her fingers, and raised an eyebrow. "I think you have a fine enough choir there, mister," she replied, shrugging lightly. "'Sides, they don't seem kinda like my sorta songs."
Auren Donos
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

PostAuthor: Darth Murdus » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:50 pm

"Well, consider it your lucky night," said Junahthur, a subtle grin lighting up his face. "We were just about to change our tone. The somber songs are engaging enough, but we've agreed it's time for something a bit more exciting. You'll want to be a part of that." Not least of all because they were likely to start gallivanting about once the song reached max tempo. It wouldn't be too difficult for them to stay out of her way, of course, but he couldn't promise her that they would all make the effort.

"Or," he continued after a moment, "are you dead set on spending this night by yourself?" If so, he was certainly making that difficult for her, and when he pulled out a stool and seated himself, it became clear that he didn't intend to let up right away. Being one of the only people in the bar not engaging with anyone else made her interesting, and Junahthur found himself curious as to why she was alone. In his experience, nobody spent time alone at a place like this unless they had a reputation or something else to hide.
Darth Murdus

PostAuthor: Auren Donos » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:34 am

Auren twitched up a laconic eyebrow at the man as he continued to talk at her, seemingly intent on getting her to join in with his raucous rabble, whether she liked it or not. Fifteen years removed from the wealth and nobility of her father's home she may be, but she still had certain standards. Getting involved with drunken singalongs wasn't amongst her top ten of things to do on a self-imposed night off.

Pointedly, she raised her glass to her lips and downed the Ithorian Mist. "If this was my lucky night, that bottle over there," she said, nodding towards the Ithorian Mist that the bartender had been topping her up with, "would be right here and wouldn't leave my side until it was empty." She wasn't about to admit to the stranger that if she managed to get through the bottle on her own, she would likely be dancing on tables without any need to coercion.

"Never said I was set on spending the night by myself," she replied flatly, shrugging, before a slightly mischievous twinkle slipped into her eyes. "But it'd have to be somethin' pretty special to make me consider otherwise."
Auren Donos
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

PostAuthor: Darth Murdus » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:32 pm

"Ah, special," Junahthur said, a jovially dismissive note in his to e. "What a wonderfully vague term. What is special and what is not is highly subjective, yeah? You could be looking for anything, but I'm still more inclined to believe that you're looking for nothing at all." A waitress came to him carrying a tray of drinks. He took one for himself, then gestured to the table where his fellows-for-the-night could be found, sending her on her way. They raised their glasses to him and cheered as they received their drinks, and Junahthur quietly raised his glass in turn.

"Based on your attitude, I can't imagine you really expect to find anything--or anyone--special here. After all, we're just a bunch o' revelrous malcontents." He smirked as he raised his glass to his lips to sip from the drink he'd ordered. It was bitter, as most drinks were, but he didn't let his displeasure show. It helped that he was plenty engaged in the moment; this was a most interesting creature indeed.
Darth Murdus

PostAuthor: Auren Donos » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:10 am

There was something there behind the bawdiness and the rough accent, something that spoke to Auren of hidden depths to be plumbed and secrets to be exposed. You didn't spend fifteen years dealing with the shadiest people that the Galaxy had to offer, and not pick up a thing or two when it came to reading people. She watched as the man casually took his drink, before sending the waitress over to his friends. That was a gesture of a man with something to prove, she thought.

"An' what makes you think I'm looking for nothin' at all," she asked, her voice filled with quiet challenge. Here they were, two strangers in a bar, each making seemingly unfounded judgments about the other. Okay, so he was right: she was here because she needed a layover, nothing more, nothing less. Anything else would be a bonus, not a disappointment. "Thing is, you never know. I've found diamonds lying in shit before," she remarked lightly, glancing back at her empty glass for a second, and weighing whether she was content to stay at "buzzed", or whether she wanted to progress towards "bombed".

That, she thought, would depend on how this little conversation progressed.

She arced an eyebrow at the man sat next to her. "And what brings a revelrous malcontent such as yourself to a place like this, anyway?"
Auren Donos
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

PostAuthor: Darth Murdus » Thu May 02, 2013 2:07 pm

"Good company, good music, and good booze. What else?" He replied as if the answer was obvious, but his widening grin made clear the semi-facetious nature of his statement. If he was being perfectly honest, the music in this tavern (really, the music in just about any place that could be called a tavern) was actually only decent at best. That's why he'd gathered a group to join him in song. That he was able to gather such a group in the first place did speak well of the quality of the alcohol and the amicability of the people drinking it, though, and those were the most important factors. He had been having a good time with the men, and now, he was rather enjoying his efforts to understand this woman.

He decided the conversation would be better served if they revealed a bit more about each other. Since it was his idea, he elected to start. "I travel a great deal, so the number of people I maintain steady contact with isn't high. In fact, I can count 'em on one hand." Malice, Nihl, Talon...maybe he actually needed to start trying harder to connect with the other Sith? Far be it from him to be the initiator of yet another splinter-faction; that was the last thing he needed on his plate. "So, from time to time, I stop in at places like these and tear it up with a couple o' friendly strangers. It's always a great break from the monotony. But you? Either you genuinely enjoy drinkin' alone, or you're just one o' those women who likes to be chased. Truth be told, I'm surprised you've not had a number of poor saps vying for your attention."
Darth Murdus

PostAuthor: Auren Donos » Thu May 02, 2013 5:12 pm

The guy was messing with her, that much was obvious, but Auren had had enough Ithorian Mist that she couldn't care less. Actually, it was quite nice, being talked to in a bar without immediately looking for the knife that was about to stab her. "I'd settle for the good booze, myself, she grinned, lifting her glass in salute. "Company and music are afterthoughts. The music... definitely not in great supply tonight. The company..." She cast her eyes over him for a few seconds. "I'm still makin' my mind up on."

Auren couldn't help but laugh when the guy told her he travelled a lot. "Hell, that makes two of us," she grinned, shaking her head. "After all... what's a spacer gotta do but travel?" It was a fair point, most spacers barely put down in a port for more than a few days at a time. she blinked, once, then twice, then laughed as the man tried to figure her out. "Maybe the poor saps in here realise that they'd rather leave here with their balls still attached to their body," she said lightly, raising an eyebrow. "Which means you're either very foolhardy, or very brave." She grinned.

"Which one is it?"
Auren Donos
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

PostAuthor: Darth Murdus » Mon May 06, 2013 8:22 pm

Junahthur raised his own glass slightly in tandem with the woman's gesture, and he drained more of its contents as he listened to her detailed reply. He let out a round of laughter at her facetious, but still threatening allusion to the fate of men who made the decision to approach her in setting like this one. She was not unique, for there were very many women (and just as many men) who seemed to have a chip on their shoulder and a defensive, even standoffish nature, but he wasn't aware of too many who would choose such colorful language to describe their wrath. That little gem made the dialogue all the more engaging.

"It's a bit o' both, actually," he said once he was finished laughing. "At times like these, I tend more toward curiosity than caution, but a man like me's got precious little to fear anyway." How would she take that? Would she just guess at what he meant, or would she actually ask? He took another sip from his glass, but never stopped watching her as he waited for her response, which might serve as an indication of how interested she really was in their ongoing discussion. He, for one, was quite enjoying himself, though he did chance a glance back toward the table where his fellow patrons still sat. They seemed to be readying for another song without him. Two of them caught his gaze, and proceeded to make lewd gestures concerning his present position, but he just grinned and turned away from them.
Darth Murdus

PostAuthor: Auren Donos » Tue May 07, 2013 6:51 am

The free sound of the man's laughter caused an eyebrow to arch upwards on Auren's forehead, and she toyed idly with her glass as it sat on the bar in front of her. It seemed that a smirk was settling in for the night, at least while this man was steamrollering her with conversation. It had been a while since she had just cut loose and talked to someone for the sake of it, and it was surprisingly comfortable to do so.

Auren laughed herself, then, as the man said he had little to fear. "An' what makes you so immune to fear," she asked, chuckling to herself. The liquor was tingling through her veins, but she didn't feel in the least bit drunk any more. Just pleasantly buzzed. Following the man's gaze over to his friends, she met their lewd gestures with a single fingered salute and a smartassed smile of her own. "I think your friends are missin' you somethin' powerful," she remarked, that cocky smirk in place. She hesitated just for a second before extending a hand to the man, inviting him to shake it.

"Auren."
Auren Donos
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

Next

Return to The Wheel