Star Wars: Fate of the Galaxy | A post-canon "Star Wars" RPG

The Voyager (TAG: Jax/Hettir)

The Hutt homeworld.

Re: The Voyager (TAG: Jax/Hettir)

PostAuthor: Auren Donos » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:19 am

Jax's silence said every bit as much as his words. Neither he nor Auren were comfortable with how the Vong had played things: it had been too quick, too easy, too amicable. She let out a frustrated breath, resisting the urge to kick something. "You know, I got the distinct feelin' we just been played," she admitted, shaking her head. On the rare occasions that someone was able to play her, get past her instincts, it was usually down to a stupid error on her part. This time, though... well, the Vong had been accommodating and helpful from the get go.

"Good plan," she said, as Jax ordered Hettir to run full scans on the Vong ship. The mention of the reason for wanting to get in touch with the Jedi made Auren smile a little. "Yeah, those little 'leaps of logic' can be scary," she agreed. She had had enough run-ins with the Jedi to know how they were capable of operating.

She sighed as Jax outlined his proposed course of action. "Sounds as though we better hope it's the Arkanians, then," she replied, frowning. The offer to continue working the contract, though, took her by surprise, and Auren cocked her head, "Well, if you want me along, I don't have anythin' else lined up at the moment, so I could carry on with you," she said. It wasn't the worst idea she'd ever heard, that was for sure. "I guess we see where this takes us, then."

And then he asked her for theories.

"Me," she laughed, shaking her head. "I think the Vong know more than they're lettin' on, an' maybe we should keep tabs on where this ship of theirs is headed."
Auren Donos
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

Faction: Unknown

PostAuthor: Jax Xefern » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:08 am

"Worst part is, this might just be how the Vong are now..." It was a horrifically suspicious behavior to people like Jax and Auren, who lived their lives in utter distrust. It was perfectly possible that the Vong, having lost their warrior gods and war making way of life, simply become stoic yet brutally forthright beings in the aftermath. It wasn't like anybody really made an effort to be around the species.

"That's why I don't take contracts on them. If you set yourself to the hunt they end up knowing you're coming from a parsec away." Jax turned to the hypercom and started pouring through the data there to find the contact routing he would need to use when they came out of hyperspace at his chosen destination. While that compiled (on the presumption the connections would be available as usual when they dropped out of hyperspace) Jax turned and activated a secure computer on the bridge.

Unlike the rest of the systems, this computer was connected to nothing but a small screen mounted into the upward face of the device. It was good for checking data on media confiscated from the occasional slicer who had upset somebody enough to put a bounty on the poor soul, one didn't want ones ship to suddenly contract something fatal, after all. Jax plugged the data chip in and set it to opening up all pertinent files.

He turned back to the controls, acknowledging when Hettir proclaimed the scans hadn't found anything thus far. Jax then responded to Auren. "You kept your cool and having an extra set of hands is a good thing. Besides, might be that the puddle maker on your hip is just the thing for genetically engineered super bugs." He pulled the levers back and the Drunk Duck dropped out of hyperspace somewhere in the outer vicinity of the planet Toydaria. He activated the comm and let it sort out the connections he had put into place.

After several long moments, owing to intergalactic connection making, the expensive call went through. The bright and cheerful face of Kaziki Halcyon appeared above the holodisplay in blue tinted, mostly see through glory. "You have made progress, I take it."

Jax inclined his head to the Jedi. "I have followed my sources to a lead. However, the nature of the scenario in which that lead was given to me has me doubting its... veracity. An expert opinion on the data indicates that someone on or associated with the Arkanians may be the source of our engineered creatures. On the other hand, the information was acquired very easily from the Yuuzhan Vong and we suspect their helpfulness. I thought to confer with you as to which you think more likely."

The image of Kaz's head shifted slightly, indicating a body movement of some sort as he closed his eyes and inclined his head forward. The expression on his face was serene, except for one momentary twitch at the corner of his mouth that might have been the beginnings of a smile. Finally, the image looked up again at Jax with eyes open. "Arkania is where you should go next. I sense nothing of the Vong in this for the moment but I have a way to corroborate the findings you were given just to be certain."

Kaz's face took on his all too familiar half smile. "Good luck Mandalorian, I'm sure you're in good hands. May the Force be with you."

Jax merely ended the transmission, turning to Auren. "Arkania it is."
Jax Xefern
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

PostAuthor: Auren Donos » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:04 pm

If the Vong were suddenly to become what they were apparently being: forthright, upstanding galactic citizens, surely nothing good would come of it. After all, if they had given up the information that easily to a Mandalorian, and apparently for little, if anything in return, who was to say that they wouldn't do likewise for anyone else, and therefore potentially spark conflict, even if it might be unwittingly so?

Auren laughed at Jax's comment on the Jedi. "You don't need to tell me that," she grinned easily. "Had my share of run-ins with them, though they never managed to make anythin' stick." One Jedi in particular, an Apprentice at the time, had seemed to take great delight in hunting her down, for no reason other than they were from the same planet, and, when she had been growing up, had moved in the same social circles with their families. Not the greatest of memories.

Nodding, Auren accepted the compliment from Jax as he sorted out a computer, plugging the data chip in, no doubt getting ready to contact the Jedi who was also investigating the occurrence. "That little puddle maker, as you call it, would need some work before it completely disintegrates someone," she admitted. "It's been modified to make it non-lethal, although, with a hit in the right area, I guess it would kill, yeah." Maybe she ought to carry a second disruptor, just in case she did need the extra punch. Still, carrying one was risky enough.

And then the holodisplay flickered into life.

"Ah, druk," muttered Auren, quickly turning away, so that, just in case she came into the field of vision, Kaziki Halcyon wouldn't see her face.

She almost held her breath until the communication ended, before bursting into gales of nervous laughter. "Oh, gods, that was close," she laughed, shaking her head. "You know I said I had my run-ins with the Jedi? Well, he was it."
Auren Donos
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

PostAuthor: Jax Xefern » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:38 am

"My preference is mutual disinterest. We rarely break the kind of laws they worry about and very few of us attempt to make a career out of them. Or even a habit. Same with the Sith. We won't even take their bounties on one another. Both are entirely too difficult to earn, the Jedi don't offer enough to be worth it and the Sith have a bad habit of not paying." Jax then nodded, making a point of the gesture, when Auren talked about her run ins and getting out of it on the back end. "Kinda fortunate they are so eclectic. A lot of guys have dodged prison time because the Jedi are short sighted in their enforcement practices."

"Hettir is a weaponsmith, if you want him to put in the work. We have about four or five days worth of travel, plus a layover somewhere in the Colonies Region for refueling, that's putting us at just short of a week out from Arkania. Arkania is civilized but tend to follow their own council when it comes to common galactic laws, including the carrying of such weapons." He began loading some jump coordinates. They would have to bounce out of Toydaria's system before they could leave Hutt Space but the Toydarians also had a solid grasp on their space, which would mean very little chance of pirate attacks. They'd just have to dodge all the smuggler vessels.

Jax twitched his eyes over inside his helmet to look at Auren when she cursed at the beginning of the call but he did not turn his head. When the call was over he turned his whole body toward her. Her laughter made him raise a brow though the woman wouldn't know it. His armor, for what it was worth, was simply still as his helmet indicated he was watching her. "The boy? If I know my human development he can't be much more than twenty standard years old. Was he chasing after you last week?" Before that, by Jedi standards, Halcyon had practically been still in diapers. "And is it going to be a problem?"
Jax Xefern
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

PostAuthor: Auren Donos » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:29 pm

Auren smirked. It wasn't that she deliberately broke laws of the kind that would have the Jedi tearing after her; more the misfortune to have been in on a few jobs that had gone wrong, in one way or another, and had therefore brought her to the attention of the Jedi. As far as she was concerned, that was yet another reason to go legitimate.

"In my line of work, you gotta get used to wormin' out of tight situations," she admitted. However, she wasn't about to admit to some of the lengths she had gone to in order to avoid being brought to justice for some perceived infraction or other. "But it's the truth when I say that, when I was arrested, the Jedi never had nothin' on me." Probably more through luck than any real innocence on her part, though.

"Hmmmm..." Auren mulled over the idea of having Hettir readjust her disruptor in order to make it a lethal weapon again. She looked shrewdly across at Jax, who was keeping his helmet firmly on this time. "Think he could make it dual-setting?" It would certainly afford her some flexibility, although there was the added risk that she could no longer argue - if it ever came to it - that it was incapable of firing a lethal blast. That was certainly a defence that she had felt happy in being able to fall back on.

Auren grinned as Jax expressed his opinion on Kaziki Halcyon. "Oh, he was just an Apprentice back then," she confirmed. "Might still be an Apprentice now, I don't know. But no, it shouldn't be a problem, as long as we don't cross paths." Well, she had to hope that it wouldn't be an issue, anyway. "You don't have any plans to bring him on board or anything, do you?"
Auren Donos
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

PostAuthor: Jax Xefern » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:09 am

"Really? Huh... I just stare at them until they get uncomfortable and go away. Always seems to work." Of course, staring at a completely unflinching suit of power armor tended to have that affect on a lot of security and law enforcement personnel. Especially the wage slave types.

Jax nodded, turning to the console again and pushing forward the levers that jumped them into hyperspace. "Hettir can do anything you can dream up. He could even put the control somewhere secret, if you're worried about somebody knowing it can do both. I imagine the power down was so you could carry it openly everywhere." The technological principle wasn't a problem, not really, it was the insanely difficult to heal wounds that tended to bother 'civilized' societies. If the disruptor was pulled back to such an extent that it didn't instantly liquify the target Jax imagined there were more than a few worlds that would just think of it as an exotic blaster weapon.

Jax pulled his helmet, the hiss of the seal heralding the motion to unsnap and removed the armor piece, revealing his oddly attractive reptilian features. "Did he have a crush on you or something? How much trouble can one trainee really cause." The last statement was largely rhetorical, seeing as both of them were well aware of the Jedi ability to turn up in the unlikeliest of places for no apparent reason. Not to mention every smuggler crew or crime syndicate having at least one weak minded member upon which a Jedi could play tricks until they revealed delicate information.

"The deal with the Jedi and his mercenary crew is strictly intelligence sharing. What they do with it is their business and what I do with what they keep kicking back to me is mine... though... what do you think he meant when he said I was in good hands...?" Jax drew his brows together in all seriousness.
Jax Xefern
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

PostAuthor: Auren Donos » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:07 am

"Yeah, well when you're a big, hulking guy in a suit of armour that's the size of a small house, who wouldn't get uncomfortable," chuckled Auren, just about resisting the urge to place her booted feet up on the control console. "Me, I gotta get by on what I got." She shrugged. It was a fact of life, and one that she had long learned to live with.

A thoughtful frown slid onto Auren's face. While having her disruptor modified again was tempting, as it would give her more options when it came to stopping power, even if the control was hidden somewhere, she would still run the risk of it being discovered, and that would be far worse for her than simply being pulled in for smuggling or something. "I'll think about it," she replied, nodding. And she would. It certainly wasn't something that she would dismiss out of hand.

Auren laughed, shaking her head, at Jax's question about Halcyon. "Not exactly, at least I don't think so," she grinned. "He just seemed to take great pleasure in trying to pull me in for anything and everything. Just a little fly, really." Jax would know, though, that Auren was making light of what could be a serious situation. You didn't want a Jedi on your tail, especially not in her line of work. "Shouldn't be any trouble, though. I don't think he's got anything on me at all, at least not that isn't so long ago that it's completely pointless."

"In good hands?" Auren paused, looking thoughtful, before shaking her head. "He wouldn't be sayin' that if he'd seen me," she admitted. "I don't know. Perhaps he's got someone tailin' you? Keepin' an eye on things?"
Auren Donos
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

PostAuthor: Jax Xefern » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:07 am

"Also works for a couple slips of girls I know, in decidedly more stream lined armor designs than mine, but point taken." He glanced at her briefly and decided he couldn't exactly knock the effectiveness of a pretty face. He used that trick to his own advantage from time to time, relying on his Species being considered attractive by most humanoid standards to get his way. Especially when combined with the pheromones.

Jax nodded in response to her decision to think about it, being just as aware of the implications of the decision as she was. In fact, if he was in his armor he tended to get checked out more often on any world with enough power to truly back a claim to rule by law. She looked innocent enough in a crowd, he was sure, and could likely skate through any customs check point on worlds that didn't know her better than that.

"You were a hobby, then. Or a challenge that the young man decided to test himself against for your ability to escape his efforts unscathed. I imagine that would be frustrating for a quick talker like him." Jax then laughed at the suggestion that the Jedi might have set somebody to following them. "I tell you what. If that boy has somebody who can track a Mandalorian marked vessel through Hutt space without being noticed then he deserves whatever advantage it nets him. Lets go to Toydaria, see if we can get out with our worldly finances intact. Then, on to the prize."
Jax Xefern
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

PostAuthor: Auren Donos » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:57 am

Auren tossed Jax a lopsided smirk. "I think it's something to do with being a faceless entity," she replied, knowing full well that the sheer inscrutability of someone in full armour presented a risk all its own. For starters, you didn't know what the armour itself was capable of, and it utterly obscured the intentions and expressions of its wearer. It certainly did appear to have its advantages, that was for sure.

"I've no idea what I was to Kaziki Halcyon," replied Auren, shrugging lightly. "He's not bothered me since he became a Knight, I think, so maybe it was just a bit of fun while he was at home, training with mommy and daddy." The point was that he had never gotten enough on her to pull her in, not really, and she could only hope that he had bigger fish to fry now. After all, it wasn't as though there were anywhere near enough Jedi to keep tabs on the whole galaxy, so why bother with a small fry like Auren?

Grinning as Jax reassured her that the Jedi wouldn't be able to follow his ship, Auren leaned abck in her seat, stretching as he suggested going on to Toydaria. "Sounds like a plan, boss," she teased, shooting him a look. "But I gotta tell you, I'm starved. What you got to eat on this ship?"
Auren Donos
Unaligned Systems
Unaligned Systems

Previous

Return to Nal Hutta